6.26.2008

yes, alanis, it is ironic

So, long story short - in my desperate maneuvers to avoid this...



I ended up with this...



(Sorry for the weird picture, it's as good as I could get from my bed with my cell phone.)

Here's what I learned. You can't go for months in a mildly dehydrated state while you are pregnant without ending up with some consequences.

I entered this pregnancy armed with a lot of information about Hyperemesis Gravidarum, unwilling to have the same unknown, awful experience I had with Calvin. I learned a lot of things. One of the things I was most interested in was how to avoid IV hydration, because I absolutely hate IV's. It's not a subtle dislike, it's a full on bitter hatred. I can't stand the thought of a little tube being inserted in my arm, left there to drip "lactated ringers" into me. Ewww! Anyway, I figured out that if I stayed just hydrated enough to continue having some "output" and used sugared beverages just enough to avoid ketosis, the doctor would leave me alone and not try to insert said tubey things into my arm. I thought I was free and clear - it was a struggle to keep up enough fluid intake to do this, but during Cal's pregnancy, I did acquire a vomit-holding superpower, so I made it happen. I thought I had tricked HG and scored a point or two in the game.

Well, I wasn't even aware of this other game that HG was playing with me until it scored it's own points. I am now in the hospital, being treated for a severe kidney infection with antibiotics and hydration - both via IV. It turns out that if you don't have enough intake to properly flush out your system, a lot of yukky stuff builds up and ends up taking over. The final take over is quite painful, shows up unexpectedly and causes you to beg your mother to drive you to the emergency room immediately so that you can go get the previously dreaded IV full of pain medication.

Anyway, this has been another excellent reminder of my stubborn pursuit of reliance upon myself instead of God, as well as His faithfulness to pull me back to Him. You'd think I'd get the message, but it seems to be taking a while to learn. It has also been an excellent opportunity to enjoy the weirdness of hospital life.

Here is what I was brought for dinner tonight...


I thought a tuna sandwich was pretty safe, but I hadn't factored in the possibility of baby-food-tuna-paste as the filling. I am staying in the labor and delivery wing, so maybe it's to prepare you for the gross things you'll be feeding your baby someday? Not sure.

I was also surprised to find that my Pacific Northwest hospital brought me some midwest-y Cool Whip fruit salad...


Yum yum. Fortunately, I have had very kind visitors bring me snacks, so I'm not forced to put any of this in my mouth.

Okay, one last picture, mostly because I'm a little bored and I have internet access. Here's how they covered my IV site for a shower...


I like that I'm a biohazard! That sounds important or something.

Your prayers are appreciated. I get to go home tomorrow morning, I'm no longer miserable (which is a huge praise), and Hallie/Halle/Halley is doing great. Calvin is doing well as long as he doesn't come to visit - seeing Mama in a weird bed, hooked up to weird things while Dada and Maggie are still gone seems to be more than he can handle. I can't wait to get home, cuddle Cal and sleep in my own bed. Sean and Maggie return tomorrow night, and I am more eager to see them than ever!

9 comments:

Mrs. Dan said...

Oh Mo... Praying! Hospitals stink, but I'm glad you're okay!

Jenni said...

Oh dear! I would classify that as HIGHLY ironic. Wow. Sounds like you are maintaining a positive outlook, though, and that's saying a lot!

Thank you for the comment over at "my place"...and may the rest of your pregnancy be free of all IV incidents!!

Or any incidents, for that matter.

~Jenni

Leila said...

Actually, the cool-whip fruit salad wasn't too bad. Granted, I had just birthed a child and still had drugs in my system. The tuna, on the other hand, should likewise have a biohazard plastic cover.

bean said...

Awww, I feel so loved! Three nice friendly comments.

Jenni, wow! A famous blogger has visited me! I think you are my first. I'll send you a t-shirt or something.

Leila, you are a better woman than I for eating that fruit thing.

Jolie Hall said...

Mo,
You have been and will continue to be in our prayers. Isn't it great when you can see God workin in your life!! I love it!! It is great to see you in good spirits and relying on him. You are loved.

Love,
The Halls

Cherie said...

Morgan,

I'm so sorry this happened. I know you are so happy to have hubby and Maggie home again. They had lots of rain while they were in Ohio.

Be well!

sar said...

hey mo!

sorry you got stuck in that place! see now that is why i am adopting...i can totally stay out of the hospital and even skip the first three months of sleepless nights and STILL have a baby...hahaha, i am just kidding!

anyway, i'll be praying for you, i know it is miserable to feel like that, especially when you have a family at home who needs you too!

i miss you

Kate Alesso said...

Aaah! Well, I'm glad you're alright now, but still. Uh, scary!

I'm not sure whether or not I like hospital food. I don't think I've ever really had it. But I guess I'll just trust you and not try it.

Isn't God so faithful to get us to rely on Him? I love it, even though it's not always easy.

Cherie Baker Vann said...

oh chickadee, I'm so glad you're home now. I just read this entry, good grief!! Love the biohazard :) Hopefully you ARE reading this from home and are recovering!! Hey I added your link to our blog list of friends :) would love to catch up! Where are you guys living? Cherie